Friday, December 08, 2006

Holdem 100

Given that The Paper is now linked up by one of the UK's leading poker portals, I thought I'd better re-vamp the site (Tesco's for Argos, a few music items dropped after a rather disappointing gig at the 12 Bar club the other day from 3 of the bands that I was linking up) and actually post something, maybe even make it poker-related.

So... spent Sunday at the excellent Holdem 100 an annual charity tournament for the Royal Marsden Hospital held at the Gutshot club in Clerkenwell. Had an early double up with TT vs 99, where I ended up with quads. Got a fair amount of luck to survive all-ins with Kc8c vs JJ, 67 vs A3 and Q7 vs 9T to finish 7th. Played badly at the final table, letting myself get too low stacked. I sort of lost count of my chip stack and imminent blinds increases, due to concentrating a bit too heavily on my newly arrived tuna mayo sandwich. I'd eaten some dodgy chestnuts from the street in the West End the night before (how stupid is that?), been violently sick in the night and was now looking forward to some slightly more wholesome nutrition. That's my excuse anyway. The sandwich moment is caught on camera forever over at their web site. There is a long and illustrious list of iconic images in poker, Doyle, Stuey, Johnny, the Cincinnati Kid, to this list must now be added that of The Paper about to attack the said sarny.

I've virtually given up playing live these days (too slow, too much griping, too frowned-upon to be reading the paper whilst at the tables) but this tournament is always hugely enjoyable due to the excellent vibe created by the organisers and participants. I used to enjoy it most when held in wacky non-poker locations like the Porchester Hall or Cobden Club, but can understand the practical advantages of holding it at what is certainly the friendliest and most comfortable regular poker joint around, namely the Gutshot.

Talking of great non-regular poker locations, Borders book store in Oxford Street was a classic venue around 2000-ish, hosting the joint launch event for Jesse May's Shut Up and Deal and David Spanier's The Hand I Played, tourney run by Roy Houghton and featuring the likes of the Sweep as table captain. Book tokens for prizes. Went out on bubble but that's another story.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky you didn't order an egg sandwich, that would have been cannibalism

11:02 AM  
Blogger The Paper said...

I was genuinely convinced my 67 was ahead

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the link - i'm a rival, eh?

9:02 AM  
Blogger The Paper said...

For Poker Blogger of the Year 2007, tho I wouldn't rule out a plucky bid from Zara P.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home