Saturday, December 01, 2007

A student’s rite of passage

Update from my University pal:-

“I went on tilt last week and lost $1,000. All profit thankfully (still up $850 on FT since July). Lost $600 in one 2 or 3 hour session - pretty impressive considering the $1-$2 blinds! Remaining $400 was lost in bad beats mostly.

After the on-tilt phase I had a period when I couldn't win with the best hand e.g. all-in with AJ on a J-rag-rag board all diamonds. I got called by KJ. He only had 2 outs as Kd would give me a flush. But he hit it anyway.

It's a funny thing about poker, I have periods where I'm winning 8 out of 10 sessions, then a period where all my bluffs are called/re-raised, I continually miss the flop, I don't get position even if raising in the cut-off, and I can't win when I flop the nuts. I can't explain it.”

(The Paper…) With experience, comes learning. With learning, comes understanding. With understanding, comes an awareness of ebb and flow. With an awareness of ebb and flow comes a tendency not to stir the hornet’s nest. With a tendency not to stir the hornet’s nest comes the occasional dinner voucher courtesy of Joe McCann. With the occasional dinner voucher courtesy of Joe McCann comes an ability to withstand comparisons of one’s physique with that of Zach from Desperate Housewives while just sitting there quietly playing one’s cards in the 8-16 Limit game at the Bellagio. This the sum total of my learning after a number of years of playing poker.

Note: The Student will be playing in the £50 freeze out at the Vic on Wed 12th Dec, and will be available for the signing of autographs and posing for photographs.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home